Saturday, January 7, 2017

Food = Love, Un Samayal Araiyil

Hush, hush... I will tell you a secret.
I love food. Yes, I do. Lots. Lots. Lots.
He does, too. Another reason, why I need to love it even more.
And I enjoy cooking, on my rest days. So, yes, food is one of my loves.
People assume, always, that I am a strict dieter. Someone who is rather disciplined in my food consumption. And, I am often a vegetarian. But believe me, I am not. And, I never will be. I love food. To the core. Rice being favourite. Truly. Really. Any form of rice makes me drool and I am thankful we have an extensive choice, here in Malaysia.
Rice ? I can hear echoes. Yes, rice. I am Indian. I am Asian. It is natural. Staple food. I am lucky because I am petite. Thus, rice does not pile up on me. A little, oh yes !!
And in order not to balloon, I do monitor my weight. I balance up my protein and lessen the carbohydrates on relative days. It has since become an on and off task.
Rice with mutton. Dosa and chicken curry. Especially during Deepavali. In any Malaysian Indian family. Essential food on the table.  And then there is my all time favourite Nasi Kandar. The most prominent rice serving dish in Penang. It has Indian roots, but has since become Malaysian favourite. Let me tell you this - Do not leave Penang without trying it. Round it up with a cup of hot Teh Tarik. Supercalifragilisticexpialidociously delicious.
I also love ice creams (on rainy days), hot waffles with honey, crispy fried chicken, seafood platters, baked fish, colouful salads, Chinese soupy noodles, Nasi Lemak (oh-God-how-can-I-miss-that?), sardine samosas, homemade fruit cakes, chilled coffee, crunchy banana fritters, big Western breakfasts and whole lot more of edibles that make my eyes light up when you mention them.
And, above all this, there is Amma's cooking, on any given day. The one that is cooked with love.
Today's post was inspired by Illayaraja. Listen to the song. You can surely relate.

No comments: